Any Other

Home Forums Squirrel Hunting Any Other

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  VinCyr 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jharmon
    jharmon
    Keymaster

This topic is to discuss any other weapons used to hunt squirrels

CB57
    Participant

was working on a center fire squirrel gun when the forum went on hiatus.

it’s a Ruger GP100 38 special. Can’t carry a rimfire during the firearms deer season in Michigan, so I thought this might work. 3″ GP with a Weigatinny short rail and a reflex sight. Finally got it together, but haven’t shot it yet. We’ll see if I can find a load that holds minute-of-squirrel at 50′ or more.

I know it sounds odd, but I like the challenge.

TD
    TD
    Participant

As long as you make head shots you should be good. At one time I had a .38 caliber flintlock rifle, it was a great squirrel rifle but body shots were a mess.

CB57
    Participant

That’s the plan. Right now I only have 148 grain wadcutters loaded with 2.8 grains of Bullseye. I do have some tiny little 73 grain semi wadcutters, but haven’t found a good load for them yet. They have so little bearing surface that they don’t provide enough resistance for Trailboss powder. Shot a few with Bullseye, but have a lot more experimentation to do before hunting with them.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  CB57.

CB57
    Participant

Shot the Ruger yesterday. If I do my part, squirrel head size groups at 50′ are pretty easy.

Carried my Buckmark 22 yesterday, though. Don’t have a good holster for the 38. Missed one squirrel with the Buckmark. Pretty dismal, windy day. Squirrels were laying up in the trees, not moving much, and not calling at all.

CB57
    Participant

Missed two more squirrels today with the Buckmark  Camper and Barska red dot combo. I need more practice.

Duke3026
    Participant

A handgun section is needed.

Skydog
    Skydog
    Participant

.22 LR Remington 597 synthetic stock. That way I don’t have to worry about the finish getting botched by mosquito dope.

Skydog
    Skydog
    Participant

Anyone ever seen/used flu-flu crossbow bolts?

K22
    Participant

In the past, read that as younger days, I hunted Squirrels with the Smith & Wesson mdl. 41 I shot in competition. That pistol was scary accurate with RWS subsonics.

VinCyr
    Participant

I’ve taken a couple with my Ruger 22/45. Kinda picky about what it likes, but once I found one that shot well,  it was a tack driver. Got a Single Six too,  that is far less picky, but the squirrels were a little less cooperative when that was on my hip. Hoping I can get a few with it this fall. And I agree,  a handgun  section would be nice.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.